The Ghallis tower is a small fortress that the Knights of Malta built on the shore of the island of Malta. The main objective was a watch tower guarded by four people. Erected between 1685 and 1659 the Tower was one of a series of thirteen towers built by de Redin during the reign of Grand Master Martin de Redin to communicate between Gozo and the base of the Knights in the harbour.
This was one of the towers built by Grand Master De Redin in the middle of 17 th century. There were some 14 of them and the idea was to give an early warning of any raid by the Moslem corsairs from Algiers and other ports. They were built around the coast and if a corsair ship was approaching a fire was lighted and a gun fired. Some watch towers were also built by Lascaris. These 17 th century fortifications were adapted by the British to cater for 20 th century use and were used in times of war to protect our coast against our enemies.
this small coastal tower in the 50’s was associated to a very bad murder case, the corpse of the murdered clerk was found by the Civil Defence people training there alerted by the bad smell and the police alerted. At that time the whole country was following the case and Scotland Yard was called.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.